Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Calling Mr. Scopes...

A few years ago I was reading Molly Ivins' tales of covering the Texas Legislature. "The finest form of free entertainment ever invented," she said. At the time I was writing for the University News, the student newspaper of Saint Louis University. I remember wanting to write about politics. I wanted to cover Jeff City and other legislative bodies and write the stories that people would leave people laughing, angry or just shaking their heads.

At the time, I was dismayed. In my youthful naivete I believed that the modern news establishment had driven all the color out of politics. Responsible people were paying attention now and politicians had hired consultants to ensure sobriety and decorum. I would never be witness to the truly jaw-dropping spectacle that was state politics.

I know now that I could never have been so wrong...

From today's Post-Dispatch on a bill to mandate teaching alternative theories to evolution:
The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Cynthia Davis, R-O’Fallon, has no false hopes for her bill, which is one of several bills supported by social conservatives that has stalled this year. Davis said she hopes that by getting a hearing, she at least introduces a concept that might catch on in next year’s session.

...Ann Ihms, who traveled from her home in Indiana to testify, said the Columbine killers had a disregard for life that could have rooted from the view that humans evolved from lower species.

“What does that cause children to think?” she asked. “If I’m from a monkey I might as well act like a monkey.”

... Davis is among several socially conservative Republicans who had hoped for a fruitful session this year, given the fact that Missouri has a Republican governor and a Republican-led Legislature for the first time in more than 80 years.

Instead, the Legislature has dedicated its time largely on economic issues, such as school funding and controlling Medicaid costs.

Davis said she believes socially conservative bills will eventually win the support of Republican leaders. That will happen, she said, because they are issues that resonate with most Missourians.

“If they’re good ideas, they’ll stand the test of time,” she said.

- Murphy

No comments: