Tuesday, November 09, 2004

I just came across an interesting piece by Laura Rozen's friend Dave Meyer. It's a quick look at the Catholic-Fundamentalist relationship in this past election season.
The apparent reconciliation between conservative evangelicals and conservative Catholics probably bears significant similarities to the reconciliation with conservative Jews. We'll work with them 'til Armageddon, but they're still bound for the lake of fire, which would have to freeze over before I'd vote for 'em.

The overlap between these two groups has caused me to scratch my head a few times. I was raised Catholic and understand the problems many Catholics had with Kerry, most of which was due to abortion. Yet given the history of the relationship between Catholics and non-Catholic christians in this country, the amount of coordination was surprising. Catholics (especially Irish-Catholics like myself) tend to have fairly long memories.

No comments: